Pages

February 19, 2010

Halloween Cape



This cape completed my daughter's Halloween Witch costume, and I am very proud of it.
I got 1 yard of purple fabric, and 1 yard of black fabric.

To make the 2 sides of the cape, I took a piece of string and a fabric pencil, and made the cape as deep as I could (just the width of the fabric), and traced a small arc until I hit the edges of the fabric length wise. I then made a smaller arc for the neck.

I found pictures of Halloween items that I liked, in this case a cat and a spider, and traced them out of the opposite color fabric and cut them out.


I used iron on fabric to temporarily hold my cut outs onto the fabric, so they would stay put while I sewed around them. I did a tight zig-zag stitch, about 1/4 inch thick, all the way around each shape in coordinating thread.

I made 2 strips for the neck ties out of scraps of the fabric.

After sewing around the cut outs, I put the cape right sides together, put the neck ties facing in, at the edges of the neck arc, and sewed all the way around, leaving a few inches to turn it right side out.
I whip stitched the small opening closed. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment